Sunday, December 29, 2013

Far from the ocean

Happy Holidays!

This photo was taken from Loveland Pass on a sunny day with my husband (sitting on fence) and a good friend. This image is far from the ocean, but just as beautiful (thanks, Google, for the fake snow). As of late, I'm still being challenged with the unknown future that sailing holds for me. As I look around at other sailing blogs, I always get inspired to just let go of fear, take the LOF and just GO! What makes this decision so hard to make when the images of beaches, meeting new people, learning new things, and going places seems magical and a "one-in-a-lifetime" opportunity? After a conversation related to the Shawshank Redemption it's been metaphorically determined I've been institutionalized for the last 33 years and leaving my safe walls, my family, is the scariest part of my parole. The reason I have a very close relationship with my family makes this chapter of my life hard - birthday parties, holidays, the last minute bbqs - that is what I'll miss. I know travel is easier than ever, people will visit, we'll visit our homes, but I've never been away from my family for extended periods of time. This is my struggle. My husband is trying to make this right for us both, to gain so much worldly experiences. Do woman have a harder time detaching themselves then men? I do know that I am scared, but I also know I cannot go through life being afraid of taking risks, and that it's the challenges that allow us to grow and celebrate. As this point, we're discussing the move down to Florida in summertime to live temporarily and shop for a sailboat.

No comments:

Post a Comment