Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Things I've Learned

Over the course of living on a sailboat, there are things I've learned quickly and slowly over time. It's humbling to gather some perspective on a life outside of the familiar. Here are some humorous things I've learned while living on a boat!

Don't keep gum on the boat - it turns to mush within days in tropical climates

I actually like my compost toilet - no fuss, no muss. No pumps, no hoses. It smells like Earth, seriously!

Pee before bedtime - when you sleep on the "inside" of the bed, climbing over another sleeping body isn't any fun, especially if the boat is rocking and you're still sleeping.

A brotherhood exists - Once you live in it, you don't quite know how this brotherhood will effect you. We rushed to help a sinking motor vessel the other day without knowing the captain or what to expect. We immediately dropped what we were doing to lend a helping hand, and bucket, before the USCG arrived.

You don't need much, especially in the kitchen - I use one cast iron skillet, one sauce pan and 1-2 wooden spoons to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only other must-have kitchen item is my AeroPress for my morning coffee.

Dolphins never get old - whether under sail or at anchor, dolphins are always a joy to watch. Period.

Currents can be your best friend - I never understood the significance of currents until we were living them! We wait for currents to turn to help push the keel off the bottom. We wait for currents to float us through narrow channels and canals. We attempt to time currents to enter and exit harbors. We time our trips with tides and currents. I didn't know I'd make a new friend in this way!

There are two kinds of sailors: those that run aground and liars - and we are not liars!

Empty the pee bucket frequently - you don't want this to overflow on you!

Who needs cross training when you have kedging - thankfully we've only kedged twice, but its quite a workout. In my experience, kedging feels like rowing a dinghy while being pulled by a tugboat in the opposite direction whilst moving a heavy anchor chain and anchor. And it takes lots of grunting.

There are many things I've learned that I may not yet appreciate, but it's fun to reflect on things I didn't know I could and do appreciate!

1 comment:

  1. I learned that while being on your sailboat the act of sitting is not a passive activity....and my back improved because of it.

    I also learned that a small space for the head is a great advantage when the boat is rocking - which it is usually doing. :)

    What a great experience that 2-week trip with you was!

    ReplyDelete