Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A to the K: Gyre Exhibit

Despite the rain, we don't really think about NOT going out to explore, but we do carry a dry pair of socks with us. Although I do miss the sun a bit, the landscape is still beautiful under the clouds. It's like being inside a snow globe at times.

We walked down the trail this morning and enjoyed a leisure breakfast at Elfinwood. On this rainy day, looking for something to do, we visited the Anchorage Museum and the Gyre Exhibit that will be on display for the next 2 months or so. The exhibit displays trash, in art form, found on beaches, awash from rotating ocean currents, stunning the visitors, myself included!  

This was a very powerful, sad and critical exhibit of how, as consumers, we're burying ourselves in trash, specifically plastics, and unconsciously destroying our existence. The things we consume and throw away have an incredible impact on our planet and its inhabitants. It's scary the things that man has created are also killing us! 

I shamefully admit, I recently purchased a Vitamin Water bottle. Then I lost sleep over what would happen to it after I threw it away or even recycled it. Where would it fall and remain? Three days later, I'm still using it and afraid to get rid of it. It's not that I cannot or should not use resources available to me, but I do know that using consumables wisely will reduce the impact on the environment and help my conscience feel more pure.

There is a documentary coming to the big screen that shares one species' story of The Pacific Gyre and how what people throw away is affecting the lives of Albatross birds - if this doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.

View the trailer: Midway - A Message from the Gyre 


No comments:

Post a Comment